With an objective to reduce workplace injuries and illnesses worldwide, in March 2018, ISO published ISO 45001:2018 standard for occupational health and safety management systems. ISO 45001 will replace OHSAS 18001, the former standard for workplace health and safety. Even though, organizations already certified to OHSAS 18001 will get three-year window period to comply with the new ISO 45001 standards, implementing the new standard at the earliest will help establish an organization’s reputation as a “safe place to work”. Therefore, the first step organizations need to take is to start preparing documents for ISO 45001:2018. In this context, ISO 45001 Manual is the first level of documentation for implementing ISO 45001:2018 in any organization.
Things to Know Before Going for ISO 45001:2018 Manual
Before preparing ISO 45001:2018 Manual, it is important to know some basic things about the standard itself.
ISO 45001:2018 specifies requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, and gives guidance for its use, to enable organizations to provide safe and healthy workplaces by preventing work-related injury and ill health, as well as by proactively improving its OH&S performance. ISO 45001:2018 enables an organization, through its OH&S management system, to integrate other aspects of health and safety, such as workers’ wellbeing. ISO 45001:2018 is applicable to any organization regardless of its size, type and activities.
The ISO 45001:2018 standard integrates with other ISO management systems standards. It ensures a high level of compatibility with ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001 management systems. It is based on the common elements found in all management systems standards of ISO and uses a simple Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) model. It provides a framework for organizations to plan what they need to put in place in order to minimize the risk of harm.
Having a formal ISO 45001 management system in place will bring many benefits of its own through enforcing best practice. Having ISO 45001:2018 certification will give added benefit as it demonstrates to external parties that you have achieved full compliance with the standard.
What Is ISO 45001:2018 Manual?
The ISO 45001 Manual is a document that describes how an organization can implement ISO 45001 system. It communicates management’s expectations for occupational health and safety to the organization and interested parties. ISO 45001 manual is a measure for compliance to management’s expectations for ISO 45001 audits.
Importance of ISO 45001 Manual
- It describes the scope of occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, i.e. what should be included in the OH&S system.
- It explains each and every requirement of the ISO 45001:2018 standard.
- It gives understanding of how the top management and personnel operate OH&S management system
- It gives the details and explanation of exclusions i.e. what should be eliminated in the OH&S management system.
- It contains references for the procedures used to describe all the OH&S system processes.
- This manual can be provided to interested parties to demonstrate the effectiveness of the organization’s OH&S management system.
Having known the importance of ISO 45001 Manual, it is expected that many organizations will now prepare and use ISO 45001 Manual to establish an effective OH&S management system.
To fulfill total documentation needs for ISO 45001:2018 compliance and certification, experts at Global Manager Group have prepared a ready-to-use and editable documentation kit which includes ISO 45001 Manual, procedures, SOPs, sample forms, audit checklists, etc. As today we are discussing on the manual, the benefits of having ISO 45001 Manual in your organization are listed below.
Benefits of ISO 45001:2018 Manual
- ISO 45001 Manual helps in designing an effective occupational health and safety management system in the organization.
- Organizations themselves can implement a successful quality management system without inviting a consultant on the site.
- Ready-to- use manual saves time and money in implementing ISO 45001:2018 occupational health and safety management system
- It helps to lead an organization to continuously improve occupational health and safety and earn a reputation of “safe place to work”.
- The user can very easily modify the templates and create the manual for their organization.
- Ready-to-use ISO 45001 Manual helps the organizations to ensure that the micro-level system is well established as per the latest requirements of ISO 45001:2018
If you want to establish, implement and maintain OH&S management system and looking for compliance as per ISO 45001:2018, you need total documentation for the same. ISO 45001:2018 Manual is the most important part of documentation. Organizations can purchase ready-to-use documentation kit for ISO 45001:2018, which includes manual also. Readymade and editable ISO 45001 Manual helps organizations save time and money in implementing ISO 45001:2018 occupational health and safety management system. It also makes the entire process of compliance and certification easy.